A Nickel for My ThoughtsA Nickel for My Thoughts
 
You would think that for someone who loves to be the center of attention, I would have started one of these a long time ago!
10.02.2007
Granny
My Granny was a writer. I like to think that if she were still alive she would be all over the thought of having a blog. She would probably post things like what she ate for dinner and who came over to visit her. I bet I would laugh at her postings. I like to think that we are similar in some ways.
Even though she never had a blog, she did write. She actually wrote quite a lot. I was looking through some of my books and came across a collection of her stories and adventures of her life.
Here is one of my favorites.

Me-Gran
I am larger than I should be-in other words- over weight.
I'm chubby all over.
I have silver white hair that is stubborn to curl with a perm.
I have large blue eyes.
I'm 5 feet, 2 inches and wear size 10 shoes.
I have a nose that would make my face neater, if it was petite-er.
I have hands like my mother's: long fingers that could play the piano if they were inclined to do so.
I have a temperament of both my father and mother, so I am both shy and outgoing at times.
I think of my self as poorly educated, but have learned to enjoy reading and music of a higher caliber.
I have advanced from Dick and Jane books!
I love laughing and love to hear others laugh, the Bible says be joyful.
I love to tell a joke or funny story.
I am quite shy and am a good listener rather than a speech maker.
I enjoy games and play with our family.
I like scrabble and have progressed from dog & cat, 3 letter words.
I like to win sometimes.
I've enjoyed sleigh rides with a team of prancing horses, and sliding down hills with family and friends.
I regret that I never had a chance to learn to skate.
I was extremely frightened on my first plane ride.
I am not a good traveler- I always seem to want to be there before we get tehre- and then get back home sooner than is possible.
I love peace and harmony- not contention.
I love the old hymns we sang in years gone by.
I enjoy the new songs as well- they fill me with awe for my God.
Just once I would like to go to a restaurant with family and order lobster so the experienced people can show me how to eat it.
I would love to have gone to Hawaii when I was younger.
I loved the trip to Prince Rupert and then on the ferry up the coast to Port Hardy.
I don't like to get a phone call from a friend and they wait for me to start the conversation. If they phone, talk already! I'll listen.
Sometimes I pout. I try not to pout long.
I cry very easily. Poetry, singing, gifts, flowers, can all turn on my tears, as well as good-byes and words of love.
I like to tease people with throwing things. Sometimes I'm lucky and rewarded in my effort when I take the ketchup bottle out of the fridge and while I throw, I say 'catch it' & I love it if they are game enough to catch it without spilling. So I'm happy! And they are surprised! Like the saying goes, "It can be done!"
I love to see horses gallop wildly across an open field.
I love to see flowers in the neighbor's garden but I have no knack of growing them myself.
I believe more beauty than we could ever imagine here on earth will surround heaven.
I feel strong in knowing, but God, He is the answer.
Psalm 73:26
My mind and my body may grow weak, but God is my strength, He is all I ever need.

Written by My Granny


posted by Hillary @ 10:43 AM  
6 Comments:
  • At 12:00 PM, Blogger Erica said…

    Good one Hill. I think about Gran and blogs too sometimes, and yes, she would have loved them!
    I've been reading her book lately and often feel I should blog about her, but haven't yet found the words, or the time to find the words.
    I think all of us granddaughters can see her in us - for me (right now) it's how when she got married and moved to a farm with Boppa - she had no idea how to be a farm wife...her stories have really been encouraging to me lately.
    Anyway, looking forward to seeing you!!! Only two more (well, three I guess) days!

     
  • At 2:20 PM, Blogger Leah said…

    this makes me cry hillary. i agree with erica...we can all see our Granny in us. i like that. yes i think gran would have been all over our blogs! she would have loved them! thanks for this.

     
  • At 9:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Very cool Hillary. Dear Gran-- what a thrill all her grands were to her and how very proud she was of you and would be today too!
    Wonderful memories. Thanks!
    See you at the pick up spot on Thursday. Love you mom

     
  • At 9:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh Hills, Spot on about Gran! Yes, she would have been all over the blogs! And lovin' it! I'm pretty sure she ,would have had her own too. LIke you say, what she ate and who came to visit. You've made me cry, but cleansing tears are always good, I say! All of you girls are more like Gran than you know, that's why you are all sooo great! loving you lots, Have a great weekend with the fam
    auntie rose

     
  • At 1:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Hillary!

    I just noticed your comment on my blog from several months ago (the one where I quoted Shane Claiborne). I wish you didn't live so far away - I'd love to chat!
    FYI: I think that I've come back to the world of blogging. I'm not all that sold on facebook.
    P.S. Your Granny sounds pretty cool.

     
  • At 1:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh, Hillary, thanks for the tears, but they are good tears and like Gran said, I cry very easily. Have a wonderful time with your fam. Love you, Auntie Sue

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Here I am

Name: Hillary
Location: Toronto
See my complete profile
Before
Way Before

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER