A Nickel for My ThoughtsA Nickel for My Thoughts
 
You would think that for someone who loves to be the center of attention, I would have started one of these a long time ago!
2.13.2008
Check Out
I was at the grocery store buying enough food to fill the house I work at for 1 week. It was me, a cart and 2 full pages of a grocery list. Everything from lettuce to garlic bread to ricotta cheese to pork chops.
I took my time selecting the items, partly because I wanted to make sure I was getting everything I needed and partly because I was dreading going through the check out. I was almost positive that I had gone over the budget, and while I was familiar with the game "Put this through and take this off," (I did live in a house with 8 people (6 boys, 2 girls) with a budget of $15 per person per week- this was NOT new to me.)

I checked my list twice and proceeded to the check out. I told the cashier ahead of time that I was on a budget and to keep me updated with the cost. Everybody knows you put the important things through first- veggies, meat, milk, cheese and bread. All the rest is take it or leave it. And, surprisingly, I only had to leave 1 box of instant oatmeal, a bag or pretzels and a bag of chips. I was $1.86 under budget.
As I was packing all the groceries into bags and boxes, I made eye contact with a lady that was behind me in line. She asked "Are you shopping for the whole month?" I said "No, this is for one week- it is for 7 kids." She looked back with a surprised look "You look amazing for having 7 kids!" By now, others had heard our conversation and began agreeing with her "yeah, you look great." I was quick to say "They are not mine!" A wave of relief fell over the checkout. She responded with "I was thinking you look way to young to have 7 kids." I smiled and continued home to 'my' seven kids.
Just another day...
posted by Hillary @ 9:14 PM  
6 Comments:
  • At 9:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That story is just as funny reading about it as when you told it to me
    Love you
    Dad

     
  • At 2:28 PM, Blogger Erica said…

    That's too funny! You should have told them you had septuplets and then started giving out post-pregnancy weight loss tips!
    Nice work on the budget - you are a smart cookie!
    Love you!

     
  • At 9:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Love that story. I can just see all the customers eyeing up the woman with 7 kids!
    Love you, mom

     
  • At 1:38 PM, Blogger Leah said…

    you are a hot mother of 7. good job on the shopping. i suck at budgeting. i guess i should learn. you would have much to teach me. you get into the funniest situations hillary. i love you because of that.

     
  • At 9:43 PM, Blogger Jen L said…

    Thanks for the laugh Hillary. I always wonder what people think of me when I go through the checkout with my three weeks worth of groceries. And then I make the cashier pack them in my reuseable bags.

     
  • At 12:09 PM, Blogger Erica said…

    how busy are you? i would like to see a new post soon......perhaps march 1???

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Here I am

Name: Hillary
Location: Toronto
See my complete profile
Before
Way Before

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER