A Nickel for My ThoughtsA Nickel for My Thoughts
 
You would think that for someone who loves to be the center of attention, I would have started one of these a long time ago!
11.14.2007
Wishes
The Sears Wishbook.
It would arrive in august and mom would hide it in the coffee table, saying we could not look at it till November, or some time closer to Christmas.
When we were finally allowed to open it up, we would scour over each page, examining everything from slippers, to gift baskets, to watches, to board games to those play tents with the Disney Characters on them (I always secretly wanted one of those..they came with a matching sleeping bag.)
Erica and I would take a pen, and each using a special code we created, one symbol meaning Erica and one meaning me, we would begin the gigantic task of deciding what we wanted for Christmas. Sometimes things would be ranked, as in "I really really really want this," while others might just be "Well, it would be cool to get."
Pages would get folded in and mom would be called from the kitchen to 'come and look at this!'
The Wishbook would remain on the living room floor, getting picked up not just by me or my sister, but sometimes by mom or dad. Each time the pages being examined as if under a microscope.
My Grandma would only order us gifts from the Wishbook. It was easier to find something in a catalog and just order it. I knew it could only be $20.00, and you better believe that I looked through that whole book to find something that was no more or no less. One year it was a pair of red slippers, another year a Coleman lantern/flashlight, another time it was a pair of pajamas.
All these memories came back to me as I picked up the Wishbook from Sears yesterday. How could I resist the glossy pages full of endless gift possibilities?
What was the thing you always wished for from the Wishbook?
posted by Hillary @ 1:27 PM  
8 Comments:
  • At 7:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Fashion Plates. Without a doubt. (A set of plastic pieces with a texturized outline of a model, with different tops, bottoms, and shoes, and then you rubbed over them with a crayon type contraption and the image appeared on the paper) I asked for this for YEARS and continued to put it on my list until I finally received it while I was in university, I think!!! I think it's in Abbey's closet - nobody has used it for years, but I do believe I will get it out for Chloe - she would appreciate it!!!!

     
  • At 10:39 PM, Blogger ~Nanc. said…

    A Rock Tumbler! I always wanted one... and never got one! Heck.. I still want one!! Now you're getting me all rilled up!

     
  • At 11:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ah, that reminds me that I wanted a Rock tumbler too. My cousin Janet got one and I was so jealous!
    Love, mom

     
  • At 1:18 PM, Blogger Leah said…

    oh the wishbook. i think it comes out earlier every year. i remember when they started offering gift baskets with real fruit cake and stuff inside, and clarke and i would wonder who would buy a fruit cake from sears? i can't remember if it was actually in the wishbook, but i asked for a Gameboy for 4 years straight, never got it. and it was ranked right up there at "i really really really want this". my grandma heide was always a wishbook shopper too. that was one present you could always count on.

     
  • At 7:39 PM, Blogger Erica said…

    i think i need to go pick up a wishbook to spark my toy wanting memories. although the wishbook memory itself is a vivid one...we did spend afternoons on the couch looking at it afterall!

     
  • At 10:48 PM, Blogger ~Nanc. said…

    What!?! They had rock tumblers back then!?!?

     
  • At 7:15 PM, Blogger Nic. said…

    Hills...I always wanted one of those tents with matching sleeping bags too!! I also always wanted those big make-up cases with like 100 eye shadows...completely ridiculous but i always thought they were cool.
    See ya soon??

     
  • At 6:25 PM, Blogger Jen L said…

    I always wished that I didn't have to deliver the wishbook. I delivered flyers as a kid and the day in September (so early) where they were stacked on our doorstep almost blocking the door and higher than any of us kids was a sad day. However, this meant I got a sneak peak. I always liked the first few pages where they had the gifts arranged according to price.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Here I am

Name: Hillary
Location: Toronto
See my complete profile
Before
Way Before

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER