| 11.09.2007 |
| Moving, Working, Shopping |
Pathetic. October 23 my last post. Let me catch you up.
I moved. Moving can be stressful. Luckily it wasn't so bad. Lindz and I rented a big truck, chucked all of our stuff it in (who knew we had so much?!) and drove it across the city to our new home, which is actually the home of my friends, who are in the Dominican Republic till June. I keep telling myself to enjoy every moment in this house, because I am pretty sure I will not be living in something so beautiful for a long long time, if ever.
I work (a lot). Or maybe it just seems like a lot because every shift is 10 hours long (goodbye any time to do anything else.) I think I like my job. Some days I don't. I ask myself "Why am I here?" or "Why do I choose to come to work to be sworn at, yelled at and not listened to?" On the days I am happy to be at work, I realize what a privilege it is to love kids who are difficult to love on their best of days, let alone their worst.
I think that starting a new career (it is a career, I went to school for it) is stressful. I feel like I have no idea what I am doing and question almost every decision I make. I think it is different when you are dealing with people too. The power I have means that kids have to do what I decide, and frankly, that is a bit scary for me sometimes. This past week I was supposed to only work Wednesday and Thursday, but ended up working Monday TO Thursday. I felt like I really stepped it up, with no "Senior Staff" around to make decisions, I actually ran the house with the help of another "Junior Staff." So, maybe I am slowly getting the hang of it (at least some of it.)
Funny Story: Last Saturday I was supposed to meet my friend Nancy at the Toronto bus station at 6:30am because she was on her way through Toronto from Montreal to New York with a 2 hour stop. This was my one chance to see her. I got to the bus station at 6:45 and began to look around for her. All of the sudden a man asked me "Are you Nancy?" I told him I was looking for Nancy. He looked confused then said "Oh right, you are Hillary, Nancy is the other girl." He went on to tell me that Nancy's bus had to leave and she was really sorry, but she had to go. I was disappointed but thanked the man for the message. Only Nancy would leave a message with a random man at the bus station. So, realizing that it was before 7:00 am on a Saturday morning I decided to head back home...maybe I would be able to fall asleep. On my way I went by Sears, and noticed that they were opening. It was Super Saturday at Sears. I thought this might be pretty handy because I was really needing to buy new bra's but had not got around to getting to Sears, and because it was Super Saturday there was a deal "buy one, get one free." I laughed to myself the whole time I was in the bra department. I mean, no one was around to hear me (who goes shopping at 7:00am?). So, even if I didn't see Nancy, I was able to buy new bra's, and I bet you can't tell me you have bought bra's at 7:00am on a Saturday. |
posted by Hillary @ 3:46 PM  |
|
| 5 Comments: |
-
So glad that I could help you get a sweet deal on your bras!! So sorry again that it didn't work out! But so glad our random man friend was able to pass on the message! We'll connect sometime soon! I'm secretly pleased I made it into your blog!
-
Oh Hill thanks for the new post. I love the 'nancy' story - like you said 'who else but nancy?' that girl! I think you are smarter at your job than you know. Keep up the good work and remember to be happy. Lots of love, mom PS: Yes to bra shopping at 7am on a Saturday at Sears, which confirms my belief in you for your excellent time managament skills!
-
No, I definitely have never bought a bra at 7:00 am....maybe I would have better luck if I started out so early!!!! As for your job - how you are feeling is completely normal. I still sometimes fear that I don't have a clue what I am doing and am about to be exposed as a girl "playing teacher"!!!! You and I both work with kids and it's a big responsibility, but you cannot second guess everything (which tends to happen when we really care about the people in our care). This is just life - we learn along the way. So just "go for it" confidently. I'm sure you're fab. at what you do - there's just no other way!!! P.S. Enjoy your new home!
-
I am laughing at the fact that Nanc would find a random stranger to leave a message with and I am laughing even harder at the fact that it actually worked. Love you guys!
-
i love it! especially bra shopping at 7am. your mother (and mine) would be proud. glad the move went well! how did that man know you were hillary? that is a good story.
|
| |
| << Home |
| |
|
|
|
|
So glad that I could help you get a sweet deal on your bras!!
So sorry again that it didn't work out! But so glad our random man friend was able to pass on the message!
We'll connect sometime soon!
I'm secretly pleased I made it into your blog!