A Nickel for My ThoughtsA Nickel for My Thoughts
 
You would think that for someone who loves to be the center of attention, I would have started one of these a long time ago!
1.12.2008
Growing Up
At the age of five, I was convinced I was going to dig up dinosaur bones. I was going to be an archaeologist. I am surprised I could even say that word. The answer to the question of "What do you want to be when you grew up?" remained 'archaeologist' till about grade 8. There were a few years, here and there when I wanted to drive a front end loader, or be a fireman.
I matured into wanting to be an emergency room doctor. (Say it with me now 'influenced by television') When it came time actually apply for university, I had changed my mind and had decided I would go into forensic science (Say it with me now 'influenced by television)
And then reality hit me as hard as a watermelon falling on the sidewalk in the middle of summer. My brain and university were not going to work together. My first semester of school was killer. I worked really hard to try and understand what I was learning, but my grades were not showing my work. I loved being with the new friends I met in the classes I was in, but I hated the classes I was in. I no longer wanted to be a forensic anything. I did not know what I wanted.
So, I did what I thought best. I went to Bible School. What would I take there? Who knows. But, I would make sure I figured something out. I had to sign up for field education. I wanted to work with prisoners. Instead, I told them I would work with kids in a rough neighborhood in Regina. The words came out of my mouth before my brain registered what I said, and I walked away wondering why on earth I just did that. It turned out that I really enjoyed myself. So much so that I ended up moving to Toronto to work with kids in after school programs. And then, I thought, what the heck, I should get some sort of education in this and become a 'professional.' So, I did. And know I am a Child and Youth Worker. And I like my job. Most of the time. I just sometimes think it might be easier if I had decided to work at Starbucks instead.
What do you want to be when you grow up?
posted by Hillary @ 10:48 AM  
7 Comments:
  • At 12:53 AM, Blogger Chryslyn said…

    Man.... one day I might have the answer to what I want to be. Right now I want to finish nursing and get a nursing job! Mostly to make some money and go on a fantastic shopping trip. My goals are low right now...

     
  • At 1:57 AM, Blogger ~Nanc. said…

    Me I have no earthly idea! I'm glad I got to be along on the journey of how yours all came together! hopefully my ship will come in someday soon too!

    until then... I really wish you would make this comment thing easier! Man it's so annoying... 2 different pages just to post a comment! I bet you'd get a way higher posting average if you made it more accessible!! hahaha!

     
  • At 9:31 AM, Blogger Leah said…

    what a huge question! who knows! i'm ok with not knowing right now. you are super. i wish we could have fun together today.

     
  • At 12:55 PM, Blogger Erica said…

    does anybody ever know? I say get some sort of education and use it to make some money, then repeat.

    I am glad you like what you are doing now.

    Love you!

    PS I really want to watch "Say Yes to the Dress" again. With you.

     
  • At 4:11 PM, Blogger Nic. said…

    I always wanted to be a doctor, or a teacher or a paramedic. I never wanted to be a nurse...but now I am one. But what I really want to do is own a bakery and bake all day long! Can't wait to open our bakery/coffee shop someday! I had fun with you today.

     
  • At 6:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well....I spent almost every spare moment of my childhood playing school....so i guess it wasn't much of a surprise when I decided to become a teacher. Let me tell you that there are many a day when I stand in my classroom after everybody is gone and think....."what was I thinking?"........ actually somedays I think it when they are still in the room!!! Often I dream of a job where I go to an office and play with paper in the peace and quiet all day long.......
    Julie

     
  • At 9:51 PM, Blogger Jen L said…

    All I can say is that God truly moves in mysterious ways. It nice to hear you reflect on your jouney. As for me, I always refused to admit that I would be a teacher but always knew that it was my destiny. I wanted to work with kids. But who knew that I would end up being here, teaching where I am.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Here I am

Name: Hillary
Location: Toronto
See my complete profile
Before
Way Before

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER