A Nickel for My ThoughtsA Nickel for My Thoughts
 
You would think that for someone who loves to be the center of attention, I would have started one of these a long time ago!
3.07.2007
The Wheels on the Bus
In what normally would take approximately 45 minutes, I was frustrated that my commute home took me just about 2 hours. Good old public transit. I understand that things happen, and yesterday there was subway troubles that caused the trains to quit running between stations that I needed to get to. They proceeded to start shuttle buses, which is fine, but then they don't tell people where the buses are going to be. Everybody began to ask the same question- where do we go? Once it was figured out, we all flocked to the platform like pigeons to bread crumbs. Three buses came, only to be going in the opposite direction of where I needed to go. I made some friends, who proposed getting a cab to downtown. I had no money, and to be honest, I was sort of enjoying the excitement of not knowing how I was going to get home. Finally a bus came (40 minutes later). Everyone happily got on the bus (I forgot to mention it was -35 C) and we begin to drive away from the station. Soon after, the bus driver announces "Can anyone tell me how to get to Victoria Park Station? I don't know where it is." Why was he driving a bus? Someone gave him directions, and when we left that station, he asked again "I need a volunteer who can tell me how to get to Woodbine Station. I need help because I don't know where I am going." Question: Where did he come from, and how did he get the keys for the bus? Eventually I found my way to the subway and the bus and got home at 7:45, after leaving work at 5:55.
One thing that was sort of nice was that people let their guard down and we were actually having conversations. I find so often that people never look at each other or smile. Everyone is in their own little world and not very likely to let a stranger in. Yet, I am sure that most people are lonely and wish that someone would talk to them. I am no better really, in not paying attention to people, but for lent I have given up my MP3 player, and since then, I have noticed much more around me. And, because I didn't have music in my ears, I had some funny conversations about bus drivers that don't know where to go.
posted by Hillary @ 3:28 PM  
11 Comments:
  • At 5:52 PM, Blogger Leah said…

    very strange how Random Man got keys to bus. makes you wonder, right? glad you got home safe.

     
  • At 8:24 PM, Blogger Chryslyn said…

    sweet, what an adventure. I would totally be ticked off if that happened to me, but lethbridge is a little smaller and I could probably walk almost anywhere in that amount of time haha. I love your sense of adventure Hill.

     
  • At 9:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hill...your post reminds me of a book which a certain little girl loves: "Don't let the pidgeon drive the bus". Only this time it is "Don't let the random man drive the bus!"

     
  • At 9:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I would have thought you would be the person to give the driver directions.
    love you. dad

     
  • At 6:24 PM, Blogger Mel T said…

    When I first moved/when I got super lonely in Montreal, I would marvel at the number of people surrounded by people but are totally alone. That said, I get into conversations in spite of my headphones. Usually they start in french, and I'm all "what?! Sorry! Music!" and end up having wonderfully odd experiences. Hooray for big cities.

     
  • At 11:18 PM, Blogger Lung Lover said…

    Tonight I saw two guys carry a mattress on the train. It was so bizarre. Transit really is odd.

     
  • At 4:03 PM, Blogger Erica said…

    Hill,
    We need to get our plans together.

     
  • At 4:03 PM, Blogger Erica said…

    Hill,
    We need to get our plans together.

     
  • At 12:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Hill,
    I too would like to know where that person got the keys to the bus. I've always thought it would be cool to be a bus driver...although I think I'd be too busy playing with the microphone than driving the bus! lol
    I love hearing your TTC stories!
    Two weeks ago, when I was stuck on the bus for 4 hours (normally a 30 minute ride), I stuck to the two golden rules of TTC riders:
    1. Never stare at anyone
    2. Don't talk to anyone
    Luckily, my MP3 player helped me stick to the rules! Although, there was this guy with a Playstation PSP who I would have loved to schmooze so I could play some video games. lol =)
    Take care,
    crys

     
  • At 3:29 PM, Blogger Jen L said…

    That is an awesome story. I can't imagine being on a bus with a lost bus driver. But it is cool how adventure can bring people together and let down our guard. We can be so alone in a crowd of people and I don't think that is how it is supposed to be. But I am the worst for not acknowledging those around me.

     
  • At 6:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was stuck in random airports over reading week, and you know, it is kind of cool how you can get into conversations with random people. Super nice people too. Like we met a guy in Houston, TX who works for NASA and was on his way to Japan. He offered to let us stay at his house if we got stuck in Houston overnight. Same thing with a couple from Calgary that we were stuck in Dallas with.. Crazy... I'm just glad the pilot didn't have to ask for directions on how to get to Vancouver..

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Here I am

Name: Hillary
Location: Toronto
See my complete profile
Before
Way Before

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER