A Nickel for My ThoughtsA Nickel for My Thoughts
 
You would think that for someone who loves to be the center of attention, I would have started one of these a long time ago!
10.16.2006
SSHHH!
Since school has begun, I have found myself in the library much more often. I do not like to study in the library, but I go there because I always have to kill time between my placement finishing and my work beginning. I try (try is the key word here) to get some school work done in the 40 mintues I have. Usually this involves reading or making notes. The last two days I have gone the the library have been interesting, thus my point of sharing this with you lovely readers. Last wednesday, when I was frantically trying to finish reading a chapter in psychopathology (I just wanted to use that word to sound smart, even though it is a real class I am taking) I was sitting at a table with another man. He tried to make small talk with me, which I tired to avoid, but did not have much luck. Here is how the conversation went:
Man: Excuse me, do you know how to spell eventually?
Me: e-v-e-n-t-u-a-l-l-y
Man: Thanks
I might have said "You are welcome" but I don't really remember.
A few mintues later...
Man: How do you spell distribute?
Me: d-i-s-t-r...wait, I lost my train of thought. I don't want to tell you how to spell it because I just forgot. It has been a long day.
Man: Did you know I am in college?
Me: Good for you.
After this I made sure that I looked very busy and involved in my reading. I sometimes am just not in the mood for people asking me how to spell things, or when they are trying to talk to you and you clearly are showing them you do not want to talk back to them.
Then today, as I was sitting at the same table, (luckily spell man wasn't there) I begin to hear rap music. And this music is quite loud. I then notice that the quiet study room has the door shut and two men are in there with a stereo. I was slightly confused as I thought it was a quiet study room. Apparently it had changed into a music room. Luckily I had to get to work, so I did not have to listen to the horrible music any longer. I just have one question though- why did the librarian let them listen to rap music in the quiet study room?
posted by Hillary @ 9:09 PM  
7 Comments:
  • At 12:53 AM, Blogger ~Nanc. said…

    Immmagine if your mother would have been there!!

    And... how do you spell immmmmmagine?

     
  • At 11:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Hill... would I have told them 'no', or would I have just ignored them and hoped no one noticed? That is the question! Love you more than library work, mom

     
  • At 12:36 PM, Blogger shareen said…

    It's amazing what people try to get away with in libraries...I ran a research project for the UofL library last year and heard all about students ordering pizza to the library, having beer in the study rooms and finding all sorts of "activity" in nooks and crannies. I think I felt better about the library when I was ignorant. :)

     
  • At 10:13 PM, Blogger Erica said…

    i prefer not to use SAIT's library...mainly because i would rather avoid the kind of interaction you've just described!

     
  • At 7:35 AM, Blogger Hillary said…

    The scary thing is that this was a public library!

     
  • At 11:12 AM, Blogger Jessi said…

    I miss the library.. fun things always happened to me there. Like once I was working on my laptop with my headphones plugged into it so I could listen to music while I was working. But apparently at some point my headphone plug fell out of the computer and I was sharing my Vanessa Carlton with the whole library. I noticed the music sounded fuller, but because of the earphones still stuck in my head I didn't quite clue in until some annoyed girl came and told me to shut up. I had to go home after that because the whole thing gave me a case of the giggles and I couldn't get any work finished.

    Oohh.. and some guy at work asked me how to spell 'family' the other day. That just made me sad.

    Anyway Hill, I was thinking about you the other day. I hope everything is going well! Take care!

     
  • At 1:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Random library spelling questions are much more fun when you're getting paid to answer them. I'm fairly sure your mom would agree with me on this... ;)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Here I am

Name: Hillary
Location: Toronto
See my complete profile
Before
Way Before

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER