A Nickel for My ThoughtsA Nickel for My Thoughts
 
You would think that for someone who loves to be the center of attention, I would have started one of these a long time ago!
6.18.2006
Wordplay


I am a bit of a crossword junkie. Most mornings you would find me in class, or at my table, or on the streetcar with a crossword. Now, I admit that I am not great at them, but I don't totally suck either. I can usually get most of the squares on the easy crosswords, but the trickier ones I am far from even getting half of it done.
I saw the documentary "Wordplay" and it is all about crosswords. I found it fascinating, and as I type this I realize how much of a nerd I am--crosswords and documentaries!
Things I learned about crosswords:
  • They have a crossword competition! People actually compete to win, and they are speedy..some could complete a crossword in two minutes.
  • A crossword is symmetrical. You could turn it upside down and still complete it.
  • When a crossword has a title, it means that the major clues are connected to it. For example, on Father's Day it was called "Leave Room for Dad" and all the big clues included "Pa" in them. I always wondered why they named them.
  • Crossword creators put all the words in first, and then figure out the clues.
Not only was the doc informative, it was also very entertaining, and if you have a chance, and are willing to be the youngest in the theatre, I definitely recommend it.
posted by Hillary @ 6:05 PM  
4 Comments:
  • At 9:36 AM, Blogger Chryslyn said…

    ummmm Hillary? I guess we all need something. Kudos becuase I hate crosswords... word finds however. I cut them out of the paper everyday and do them during my lunch break. I guess this is my confession. Take care dearie

     
  • At 11:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey hill!

    i finally caught up on your blog - thanks for keeping everyone in your world without having to travel to toronto! love you friend! p/s have day camps started yet?

     
  • At 5:12 PM, Blogger Jessi said…

    woohoo.. i finally made your links list!! it is a good day indeed.

    i'm with chrys on this one.. i hate crosswords, they make me feel so dumb because i can never finish them without cheating.

     
  • At 6:43 PM, Blogger Erica said…

    new post please

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Here I am

Name: Hillary
Location: Toronto
See my complete profile
Before
Way Before

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER