A Nickel for My ThoughtsA Nickel for My Thoughts
 
You would think that for someone who loves to be the center of attention, I would have started one of these a long time ago!
5.04.2006
Not exactly a walk in the park...
Today I went to an orientation session in order for me to work with families whose children have autism, or other disabilities. For a training session (board room, little breaks, strangers) I found it quite interesting. One thing I hate is going to something where you don't know anyone, and having to sit in a room where no one talks. And I think to myself, should I try talking to them? But the other part of me thinks, is it really worth it? I am only here for 6 more hours, and I don't really need to say anything, so should I bother with the small talk? The worst is during breaks, and you are just sitting there, and so is everyone else, but no one is talking. I sometimes try to make a joke, or comment on something that was said earlier, but today I was mostly lazy and decided to be anti social and work on a crossword. I forgot for a moment where I was, and asked the person next to me, who I had earlier decided I was not going to talk to, what ocean is in french. Only after I asked her did I realize that she had no idea who I was or why I was asking her...some what akward, but I was able to remain cool and pointed to the crossword, appearing like everybody should know why I would ask that out loud. And she didn't even know the answer!
We got out of this training earlier than anticipated, and I had 2 1/2 hours to kill before meeting Mike. I decided that it would be better to walk there, than to take the TTC, because then I would have less time to kill and save myself $2.75. I thought that it would take me longer, considering I was walking from Davisville Station to Bathurst Station*, but it only took me about 40 minutes, and the walk was great. At one point, along Yonge Street, I was able to see downtown, but not really be in it. I was walking, and my Mp3 shuffle was on my side with some good music. I just felt so content and thought to myself "I love this city." Upon further thought, I realized that I really must love the city because I could barely hear my music with all the traffic, and I could see the smog over the skyline, plus the fact that I had just spent the last block trying to get past a large crowd of sidewalk hogs.**
After this wonderful (most of the way) walk, I kill some time in Chapters, actually it was Indigo, but I have no idea why they are called different names, and then go to where I was meeting Mike. Right now in Toronto, there is a film festival called Hot Docs, which shows documentaries from all over the world. I love documentaries. We have been trying to see one of these films, and tonight "The World According to Sesame Street" was playing at 6:45pm. The tickets were sold out, but they have Rush Tickets set aside to people like us. I arrived at 5:50pm, thinking that would be plenty of time to get rush tickets, but upon arrival I discover that the line is really long. I mean, really long, like 5 storefronts long. So I wait, to get tickets and also for Mike to arrive. Mike gets there at 6:25pm and the line has still not moved. We wait some more. The line starts and stops a few times. Finally, we are the 6th pair from the front. The lady tells us that there are no more spots. Dang it! So we did not get to see a documentary, and we won't this year. Perhaps Next year.
The only plus side was that we found this great place on Bloor that has lots of desserts, a good atmosphere and reasonable prices. And the patio is really big, so we will definitely go back there.
* Google Maps tells me that I walked 5.2 KM.
** Sidewalk Hogs are people who have forgotten that other people exsist and move left to right on the sidewalk to prevent people from passing them, and when a person does attempt to pass, they seem to predict which way that person will try to pass them on, and move in the same direction.
posted by Hillary @ 9:49 PM  
7 Comments:
  • At 9:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Hill. Sounds like a good day. I can't believe you decided not to talk to people. see you on saturday.

     
  • At 9:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Forgot to tell you it was Dad.

     
  • At 10:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Google Maps is the best/True that/Double true!

     
  • At 4:58 PM, Blogger Nic. said…

    I like your stories Hills...and i'm glad you started a blog. Have a good time at home!! And we'll definitely play when you get back to Ontario.
    Love ya.
    Nikki.

     
  • At 12:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hi hill. man, the world is going digital. i'm thinking about creating a blog similar to leah's for calgary. i'll try to convince heidi it's cool, all the while trying to convince myself. well, see you tomorrow.
    love erica
    ps - like dad, i can't believe you didn't talk to people either. and i would have liked to see the doc too. maybe we'll rent some when you get home.

     
  • At 11:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hill - you mean to say you didn't even crack a joke or say something smart at the session! Wow! xoxo mom

     
  • At 6:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Hills, I'm amazed you didn't say a word, although it would have to be a random crossword question, wouldn't it? That is Truly Hillary. Sorry about the Sesame Street doc, sounds like something the cousins would like. Enjoy your time at home!
    Leah

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Here I am

Name: Hillary
Location: Toronto
See my complete profile
Before
Way Before

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER